Thursday, January 5, 2017

This One Thing

I do one thing. I forget everything that is behind me and look forward to that which is ahead of me.  Philippians 3:13

Yesterday I drove over 400 miles to get home. I had been visiting family for a few days but it was time to get back home to wife and my dogs because they missed me and I missed them. I also wanted to miss the traffic in Southern California so I left before the sun came up. Actually, the sun never did come up because it was raining -- all the way on the El Camino Real (U.S.101) from Redwood City through San Jose and Gilroy, down to Salinas and Soledad until I got to Paso Robles. Sheets and buckets of rain intermittent with heavy drizzle. It was the kind of morning you just wanted to stay in bed and not go anywhere. But I wanted (and needed) to go home. So I sloshed through the water on the sidewalks and got in my car and drove through intimidating weather, crazy drivers, slippery roads and heavy fog on the Grapevine. I pushed through because it was time for me to move on to what was ahead of me: home.

Not a bad metaphor for coming into the new year. There's a lot from last year that we learned and loved. There's also plenty we loathed and need to leave behind. I had a good time on my visit -- I also had to deal with some unpleasant things. But just as the time came for me to move on, the new year is our signal to push through into what is ahead and let the past be past. Today, tomorrow, next week and in the coming months we will face storms and clouds, we will find ourselves enveloped in confusingly foggy situations just as we will have to deal with the often unpredictable actions of others as well as our own mistakes. But we push through because of where we are going -- Home. Our heavenly home, yes -- and even more our home in the comfort and quiet of His presence. His love beckons us on, His promises give us hope to endure the journey, His guiding Spirit shows us the way through.

Last year is in your rear-view mirror. So forget about it. Keep looking ahead and know God is with you even as He calls you to go forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment